Where Faith, Motherhood, and Marriage try to fit together in the puzzle!

Monday, February 18, 2013

"Train up a child..."

http://www.incourage.me/incouragers-new-moms

Each Monday for the next few months (until April 22) I will be posting an encouraging post to my fellow (in)motherhood ladies about Motherhood.  You're welcome to join in as everyone can use some encouragement when it comes to raising kids (or teens or adult kids) - whether they're your own or not!!

One of the biggest stressors for me as a New Mom is wondering if I'm doing the right thing.  Am I feeding my little man the right foods?  Is he getting enough to eat?  Is he drinking enough?  He's always been on the small side - is the Pediatrician going to start worrying about that at his next check up?  Is he getting enough of my time?  Does he have the right toys to stimulate him?  Does he have too much?  Is he getting too much or too little sleep?  Are we doing the right things to keep his pacemaker working right... BLAH BLAH BLAH... The list could go on and on.

There are other important things I worry about too.  I look at the world around me.  I see the news of the horrible things going on in the world.  I see in the media that the morals of this country and world are going down the tubes.  I hear the leaders of our country say one thing and then do another.  My son is growing up in an evil world.  I know the world has always been evil - it's full of sin.  But I worry about what it will be like when he's older.  When he's a teenager, what kind of pressures will be around him?  When he's an adult, what kind of temptations will follow him?  

Looking at the above list I then begin to worry if I'm doing enough to put God in his life.  We read Bible stories together and sing Bible songs.  He has his little class at church and now gets some from the Christian Daycare that I work at and he gets to attend.  We talk about it at home, but again, is it enough?

Thankfully, God lays this verse upon my heart quite often.  I'm sharing it in THE MESSAGE version because I love how it's put:  

Point your kids in the right direction—

    when they’re old they won’t be lost.
Proverbs 22:6

Photo Credit
When it comes down to it that's all we can do.  We as parents are called to do our part.  We are called to teach our children the ways of God and live our lives to reflect that teaching.  That doesn't mean that we will be perfect - thankfully we have a gracious God who works through our mistakes (and He certainly knows I've made enough of them in the short 18+ months I've been a mommy!).  

So today ladies - Point your kids in the right direction!!  Pray over them constantly!  (Read my prayer for my little guy here) Trust in God that they are learning all they need to know.  Trust in Him that you're doing what you need to do.  And trust that when they are old enough to make those tough decisions that they have the background they need to choose God's way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment